Since my birthday is coming up this week, I thought a cake recipe is in order.
Since I already did a Dauntless cake, I thought “The Cake is a Lie” from Portal would make a good recipe for my 18th birthday.
I played Portal with my dad when I was about six. I love Portal!
The cake in Portal is based on Black Forest Cake – according to the developers, so that is what this recipe is based on.
- 2 1/8 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 tablespoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (the baking kind)
- 2 (20 ounce) cans pitted sour cherries
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Shaved chocolate
- Fresh Cherries
- Whipped Cream
- Desired frosting (pre-made, or can be made from beating confectioner’s sugar and whipping cream until stiff peaks form).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour two 9 inch, round, cake pans.
- Combine dry cake ingredients, then add the wet cake ingredients (including eggs) and blend well (whisk or electric mixer). Pour batter into pans.
- Bake for about 35 minutes, or until the center can be speared and come out clean.
- Let cool in pans before removing.
- Drain cherries, reserving juice from 1 can, about a 1/2 cup. Combine reserved juice, and filling ingredients in a 2 quart saucepan. Cook over low heat until thickened, stirring constantly. Let cool completely before using.
- Assemble the cake, place cake from one pan on a plate, spread with frosting, top with 1 cup cherry filling, add second cake on top, and repeat. Frost sides of the cake. Spoon remaining cherry topping onto top of cake.
- Decorate as desired (picture above for reference). Cakes can also be split into two layers each with a serrated knife, for a four layer cake of the same height/amount, depending on preference.