There are two types of comics on this list:
- Comics that the movie counterpart are loosely based on. (Coded in Blue)
- Comics based on the movie, typically coming after, or tying directly into the MCU verse not the current comic series. (Coded in Red)
- Iron Man is based on the overall comic character, drawing inspiration from Iron Man #200, which introduces Iron Monger. Also inspired in part by Tales of Suspense #39. These are very loose inspirations.
The Incredible Hulk
- The Incredible Hulk #1 (May 1962)
Iron Man 2
- The villain of Iron Man 2 comes from a mix of inspiration from Tales of Suspense #46 and #97, other parts such as Rhodey and War Machine are drawn from Iron Man #120, #281, #284, and the Armor Wars Arc. Armor Wars can be found as a trade paperback, as is Demon in a Bottle which also inspired elements of this movie.
- Iron Man 2: Public Identity (2010)
- Iron Man 2: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (2010)
- Thor #159,344-349 and Journey Into Mystery #84,101-104,112,118 inspired, along with other issues of these series that influenced the film.
Captain America: The First Avenger
- Captain America Comics #1 (March 1941)
- Captain America: First Vengeance (2011)
Marvel’s The Avengers
- The Avengers #1 (September, 1963)
- Marvel’s The Avengers Prelude: Fury’s Big Week (2012)
- Marvel’s The Avengers: Black Widow Strikes (2012)
Iron Man 3
- Based on the Extremis arc from 2005-2006, Iron Man #1-6, also including elements from Iron Man #11, and Dark Avengers #1.
- Marvel’s Iron Man 3 Prelude (2013)
Thor: The Dark World
- The Unworthy Thor by Aaron and Coipel inspires the darker tone I feel, this one was harder to find verified inspiration.
- Marvel’s Thor: The Dark World Prelude (2013)
Captain America: The Winter Solider
- A major influence in The Winter Soldier was conspiracy fiction from the 1970s such as Three Days of the Condor, with the script also drawing from the Winter Soldier story arc written by Ed Brubaker.
- Marvel’s Captain America: The Winter Soldier Infinite Comic (2014)
Guardians of the Galaxy
- Marvel Super-Heroes #18 (January 1969)
- Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy Infinite Comic – Dangerous Prey (2014)
- Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy Prelude (2014)
Avengers: Age of Ultron
- A 10 issue miniseries “Age of Ultron” (abbreviated AU) is a 2013 comic book fictional crossover storyline.
- Marvel’s Avengers: Age of Ultron Prelude – This Scepter’d Isle (2015)
- Scott’s introduction in the comics: As Scott Lang: The Avengers #181 (March 1979)
As Ant-Man: Marvel Premiere #47 (April 1979)
- Marvel’s Ant-Man Prelude (2015)
- Marvel’s Ant-Man – Scott Lang: Small Time (2015)
Captain America: Civil War
- Based on “Civil War” is a 2006–07 Marvel Comics crossover storyline consisting of a seven-issue limited series of the same name.
- Marvel’s Captain America: Civil War Prelude Infinite Comic (2016)
- Introduced in Strange Tales #110 (July 1963)
- Marvel’s Doctor Strange Prelude (2016)
- Marvel’s Doctor Strange Prelude Infinite Comic – The Zealot (2016)
Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2
- Ego the Living Planet was initially introduced in The Mighty Thor #132 (September 1966).
- Based on The Amazing Spider-Man, especially after this iconic moment.
- T’Challa’s introduction to the comics: Fantastic Four #52 (July 1966)
- Marvel’s Black Panther Prelude (2017)
Avengers: Infinity War
- The Infinity War limited comic series, 1991 “Infinity Gauntlet” crossover, and The Infinity Crusade in 1993.
- Marvel’s Avengers: Infinity War Prelude (2018)
Ant-Man and The Wasp
- Hope’s introduction in the comics: A-Next #7 (April 1999)
The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Marvel Comics Omnibus –
Prelude’s and MCU inspired Bind-Up