Okay, so, not a book, I know. so not exactly bookish. But Apple Pie is basically a requirement for any American holiday, and Supernatural is a pretty popular fandom and I’m going with it.
This recipe is adapted from various I’ve found online.
- 3-4 Large apples (I prefer Honeycrisp – Granny-Smith is also popular, but you can use any kind you prefer)
- 1/3 cup whiskey (The alcohol bakes out, and basically every recipe I found online included it)
- 1 T Corn starch
- 1/4 cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 3tbsp Cornflour
- Pre-made pie crust and pastry sheet (or you can make your own, this recipe seems good)
- 16 oz sugar for Caramel
- Peel, core and slice apples thinly (or to preference, the thinner the slice, the more cooked the apples will get)
- In a large pot, cook the apples over medium heat.
- Mix the dry ingredients, once well mixed, stir in whiskey. Add to apples.
- Cook down, until thick rather than liquid – whiskey should mostly cook down.
- Spoon apple mixture into crust, cut extra pastry sheet into a lattice and lay over the top. If you choose to simply cover the top with the pastry sheet rather than a lattice, poke holes into the top to allow steam to escape.
- Brush the top with a little milk and/or butter, and bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes at 370 F/190 C, or until the pastry is golden.
- In a small saucepan, add sugar, and just enough water to dissolve. Stir.
- Stop stirring and leave on high heat until color is desired.
- Add 1 T of butter after it’s taken off of the heat and stir SLOWLY stirring quickly may pop air bubbles and lead to some extremely nasty sugar burns.
- Let cool while out cooks, pour over the top when served.