Large Pie-Sized Tart
- 1 Uncooked Pie Crust (regular 9″ size) (pre-made or homemade)
- 3/4 Cup Water
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
- 4 Large Eggs
- 1/3 Cup Sweetened Evaporated Milk
- 1/2 tsp. Clear Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray your pie pan with non-stick spray & smooth the tart or pie crust into the pan, doing your best to avoid trapping any air under the dough.
- Bake on the middle oven rack for about 10 mins or so to solidify (pre-bake) the crust.
- In a medium sauce pan bring the water & sugar to a boil until the sugar is dissolved. Remove the pot from the heat & let it cool to room temperature (about 10 mins).
- In the meantime, beat the eggs in a medium bowl. Once the sugar water has cooled, hold a fine mesh strainer over the pot & pour in the eggs. The strainer will catch any unmixed egg bits & will strain most of the bubbles. Next, whisk in the evaporated milk & the optional clear vanilla.
- Once the pie crust is sufficiently pre-baked, open the oven & slide out the oven rack that the crust is sitting on.
- Holding the strainer over the empty crust, pour in the egg mixture (if there are any little bubbles, gently scoop them off with a spoon).
- Carefully slide the rack back into the oven & bake for about 30 mins or until the egg custard is solidified & a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.